Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Day 1708 - only someone who lived abroad understand how special is Yom Kippur here in our country. At noon you still see few people rushing to make last minute grocery shopping and by 2 pm almost all the stores are already closed, and the public transportation is making the last rounds. An hour before the onset of the day, the streets are empty of people and cars, every business is closed and people are at home eating the last meal before the fast. It's a scene out of a movie, a whole country is holding its collective breath, getting ready for this special day. I am not religious and I don't even fast but I feel blessed to be here on this day, to feel and be part of the Jewish soul. To play my little part in this community's identity. No car, but emergency cars, will roam the streets until tomorrow night, but lots of people, thousands, will walk the sidewalks and the roads in the city. Funny tradition that developed over time. I love all this, I live you can feel belonging to that even when I am not a part of that. I am thankful to be here and enjoy all the beauty of the tradition even if i choose to live my life differently. I am thankful I am here and this year two of my kids are here as well, having the opportunity to experience this unique phenomenon.

No comments: