Friday, January 21, 2011

The fire - 3rd reason to be thankful

There was a huge fire here few weeks ago. The largest the area ever endured. For several days the hills and forests were on fire. I don't have a car and so I didn't see the devastation until today. I had a day off from work, and I rented a car for the weekend, so I decided to drive there and see the blackened landscape.
Words, even pictures could not prepare me for what I saw there. Disbelief, this is probably the best way to describe it. Ancient tree groves are gone, a wild life preserve, miles of beautiful, green pines and oaks, all gone or standing as a silent testimony to the fire, everything is black and damaged. I stopped several times during my drive and got out of my car. It made me cry. This was one of the most beautiful areas in my country and now it is all in ruins...

And then I saw a little seedling that someone probably planted and it reminded me of the cycle of nature - some seeds will not grow until they go through fire. Like the sequoia tree, like so many others. And from this place of devastation new life will emerge, new forest will start. It will take time, but nature is in no hurry.

I have to always remember that lesson - sometimes seeds have to go through fire in order to get to their full potential.

I am thankful today for the fires in my life. I would never be who I am today without them. There was pain and there were very difficult moments but I came out of it stronger and better. I am truly thankful for the fires that enable me to grow.

No comments: