Monday, January 31, 2011

I am thankful for the friendships in my life

Day 13 - I went yesterday to a funeral. The first one here in many, many years. A father of a dear friend of mine passed on. AT first I didn't want to go. Funerals are not much fun, and I don't have a car, so I knew it will be very complicated for me to get there, and on top of it the weather was bad, very windy and pouring rain. So tempting not to go. But I really love this wonderful family and I wanted to be there for them at their time of need.
Everything went wrong that morning. There was a bad accident on the road leading our of town and the buses were running an hour late, I was sure I won't make it. In a brilliant move, I ran to the near by train station and hopped on the train. There I found a taxi right away and the sweet driver made a 20 minuted ride in 10. I arrived just as the ceremony started. It was windy and cold and wet and my shoes got soaked, but I was so glad I did that. That I was there to hug them all and just be there, for them and with them. We went through so much together, and than I missed so much more in the years I was away. I am so happy I am here again to be with my friends during good times and bad. 
I am thankful for the friendships in my life, and this one in particular. I am so thankful for all they had done for our family in the past and for being there for me since I came back. I am thankful for being able to do something small for them.

No comments: