Friday, October 3, 2014

Relationships, commitment and love

Day 1353 - my partner has some health problems right now and he feels very bad that it has an influence on my life. It sounds silly but I see where he is coming from. In our first marriage we take it for granted that we have this responsibility towards each other. Especially since it looks so far out and we see so many years of good health ahead of us that it's almost an academic discussion. But in a later relationship we are older, each one brings into the mix history as well as health issue and since no children are involved, the ties are weaker and nothing is taken for granted. It is not a given that a partner of few years will want to stay by our side if things are getting bad, especially if there is no real prospect of getting healthy again. I never thought of that before but when he expressed how bad he feels about the burden his health issued are putting on me I suddenly had this very depressing thought. I sure don't see it this way but I know many do and it's sad. It's also sad that most if our healthy years are behind us and its only a matter if time before things will pop-up. But I made a choice to leave my comfortable life at the age of 52 so I will have to deal with all those questions. But coming to think about it, I prefer to do things because I choose and not because I am obligated. And I cherish so much more every day of good health and good fortune because I know my days are limited and who knows how many years we have to enjoy each other. I am thankful for every day we have together, healthy or not so. I am thankful for every day I still have on this planet of ours.

No comments: