Friday, September 16, 2011

About Arrogance

Day 241 – After so many years I lived in a country where the official language is English, I take it for granted that everyone speaks the language, and even when I moved back here, most people do. Most of my work is in English as well, and so it always comes as a little surprise when someone doesn’t. I just caught myself thinking something not so nice almost ‘elitist’ and it made me upset. And so when few days ago a friend asked me to help him with a letter, it was a little strange for me. But then I heard the story behind this letter, a story of a very kind heart and great things that are done without any publicity, just to help people in need, and not for profit and not for publicity just from kindness, and I felt almost ashamed. I might know how to write nicely but my heart is not anywhere near, I might know how to search on the internet, but I don’t actively look how to help people every day. And so I started to help. Writing letters, doing the research, not much, but at least I am doing something that is not for me in anyway, just helping on a cause. But even more importantly I learned once again that it is not the outside envelope I should look at, and not the clothes, but instead I should look at the heart behind it all and how it applies itself, day in and day out.
I am thankful to my friend who gave me this opportunity to volunteer and help at something that is so easy for me and not so much for him. I am thankful for the opportunity to get outside of my little safe world and hear, even if not yet see, of the life of the less fortunate ones. I am thankful for a lesson in modesty and arrogance I had to learn. Sadly, I was on the wrong side of the equation, I hope it will never happen again.

No comments: