Thursday, September 15, 2011

Painting Class, or How I got Hooked...

Day 240  - today I had my painting class, and I am hooked-  sink, line and all. Most people there are attending this class for the second or third year, but there are few newbies. It was amazing to see each one of them how they approach the project, attack the canvas, all different but all very beautiful, the paintings were amazing. I saw an exhibition of this class last year and this is how I decided to join them. I called last week and got the details and the teacher encouraged me to come and experience it; and so I did. The teacher is very nice, the students all know each other and so a very good atmosphere and he just set me down, put a few vases with different shapes in front of me, showed me how to start and now it was my turn. Every 10 minutes or so he came by gave me some tips on how to do it better, sometimes actually showed me on my paper, how to take the next step and then left me alone to continue.  15 minutes before the end of class they did a mini art show – each one put the piece s/he is working on right now and people where talking about each piece in a very positive manner – what is good and interesting about each picture. At the end of the class I told the teacher I am definately coming back – I just love it! I took my drawing to finish it at home and I was looking at it for half an hour trying to figure out how to finish it. What can I add to the composition, it felt so good – being so' in the moment', just considering what to add to the picture in irder to disrupt the harmony and quietness of the arrangement.  Funny, I used to love harmony and now I just want to destroy it, to add something that will disrupt the whole picture. A hand, an eye, a pepper mill on its side; just something to make the picture less conventional and more interesting, more provocative, more noticable, not your regualr 'still life' picture. 

I am thankful for a long and intensive day. I had very little sleep last night and I worked until late today as well, so I am very thankful for the most wonderful night in the week – Thursday where I can sleep as much as I want. I am so thankful for this amazing class; I am definitely coming back.  I am thankful for the opportunity to spread my wings even more and soar to the sky. I am thankful for the song in my heart.    

No comments: