Thursday, September 1, 2011

JDate

Day 226Few months after I arrived here a friend told me that if I want to meet guys I have to register to JDate. I remember the stories from a friend back home, so I was a little hesitant. But realizing that I have almost no contacts here and no history, my chances to meet a single guy in the right age and all are pretty slim, and so reluctantly I opened a user account with no picture, just to see what’s going on there. Every few weeks, I would go in and search a little and chicken out. But few months later I put a picture. A blurry one that definitely doesn’t show that I look good or anything like that, later I even added a second picture of me skydiving. No one apparently interested in a woman that is doing crazy stuff. And then this week I felt lonely and I thought that maybe it is time to start dating or at least get my feet wet. So I put a really good picture of mine (ironically it is a picture that was taken a day before I left home) and suddenly my mailbox was flooded with messages. Most I didn’t care about but I did talk to one guy and it was actually nice. He was really nice and even though we are complete strangers it was easy to talk to him. We didn’t meet, but it made me happy to see that there are nice guys out there that, like me, have no one in their immediate surrounding that fits the description they have in mind. So it might take a while but I like the idea and the promise that I can reach out this way and maybe I’ll be able to find there a guy I will be happy to share  the second half of my life with him. I now readily admit that this is a much needed resource; full of promise.

I am thankful for this amazing invention of dating sites. I used to make fun of them but now I see the important need they fulfill. I am also thankful I mustered the courage and the determination to say I am lonely and I would love to have someone special in my life again.  I am thankful to that nice guy who talked to me, even though I couldn’t – no voice yesterday, remember? -  he restored or gave me the faith that there are some nice guys out there, some diamonds in the rough, and if I’ll be patient and really listen I might find one.   

No comments: