Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Daughter's Graduation

Day 246 – it’s been a year and two months since we moved back here to our country, and today my daughter finished her military instructors’ basic training. She immigrated here with the idea that she wants to serve her country and join the army, and through all the hardship she experienced in the past year, she kept that flame burning hot. She wanted to serve in the military and she wanted to do a meaningful job. She decided on a very difficult path and exceled in this very challenging environment.  And today was her graduation ceremony. So many people came to celebrate with her - her adopting parents with two of their children came, the guy who is responsible for her group, two grandmother and one grandfather, few of her friends from the group, two nieces, and of course her parents. I live here, but her father came from the other side of the world, and landed here only this morning. We had a visit to the base facilities, to see where they live and what they did in the past two months. And then we were ready for the ceremony. It was so moving, just the thought she is now graduating made me cry my eyes out. And then came the most special thing – she was one of the four girls graduating with honors so they stood in front of their whole squad and their new rank and insignia were given to them by the highest ranked commander.  It was so cool!!
I am thankful for a very emotional day, a day that was envisioned such a long time ago and today became a reality. I am thankful beyond words for all the little gifts bestowed on us today, for a morning meeting, for a rush to the supermarket to buy fruits, preparing a poster to embarrass my daughter – didn't work, she liked it. I am thankful for a pleasant ride to the base, for the grand tour and especially for my daughter’s recognition as a natural leader; and I am thankful more than anything else, for my daughter’s very strong and determined character; she overcame so much, every obstacle you can imagine, and today she graduated with honors. She deserve it so muc!!! I am so thankful for this wonderful day.

No comments: