Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The wonders of modern technology

Day 1196 - my daughter is going to have a LASIK surgery tomorrow, in a different city two hours away from here. I want to be there with her so I'll have to wake up at 4 am to make it on time. So for the first time in I don't know how long, I'm going to bed before 10 pm. I'm all excited about such a rare event. She's a little nervous about the procedure but excited to be without glasses or contacts for the first time in so many years. I think it's amazing all these new technologies that make our life easier, that only few years ago sounded like sci-fi and now they are a common thing that you don't really sweat. Probably few hundred years ago the idea of glasses was as novel as this LASIK is today. As much as I complain sometimes that technology is too much for us, I know that there are many fields in our life where technology makes all the difference in the world. I'm going to sleep in a well insulated house, surrounded by electrical gadgets using warm water from my solar powered hot water, a microwave, a refridgirator, an oven, a washer, a cell phone, a hi-fi system... Life is comfortable and easy even for one like me who is actively trying to shy away from most of the newest inventions. And tomorrow culminates it all - an eye surgery that corrects my daughter's eye sight, where she is expecting to walk out of the clinic an hour later with no glasses and see better than she can right now. Amazing. No other words can describe that.
 
I am thankful we live in such era where all this is possible. I am thankful that I can be with my daughter tomorrow. I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments: