Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The first night of Hannukah

Day 1426 - another year is getting close to its end. It is mid December, the shortest days of the year and with it come the "light holidays" of the different religions. Being Jewish, it is Hannukah and today is the first of eight days of that holiday. I forgot to bring my menora to the store so I did not do it on time but its already waiting by the door so I'll take it tomorrow and light it appropriately. We light each day one more candle to symbolize that we're there is a light darkness cannot be, that every tiny little light counts in this endless battle between light and darkness, good and evil, openmindness vs. closedmindness, between living in a dreamlike state or being fully awake. I have a mystic store, you know, so I like to get a little deeper into all these esoteric things. Life is a big mystery and full of things only partially understood. So a day like today, like this holiday, shades a little light on that field. Hannukah, how different it is to live here and celebrate it among millions of our country people who are doing the same thing, where as when I lived abroad it was a holiday that looked so simple when compared to the grandour of Christmas. I like the simplicity, I like that its not all about buying presents and more about the holiday itself. I like being here and feel part of it all. Hannukah, another year is coming to its end. How blessed one can be!!

No comments: