Monday, May 16, 2011

Being a Princess

Day 118 -  Yesterday there was a royal visit to our hospital. Her Royal Highness XXX a princess from another country came to visit and sign a collaboration agreement for cancer research. It was a very interesting experience. None of her people is allowed to be taller than her, so her assistant was on his knees when helping her to get out of the car. There were all the mandatory red carpets and all the executives where in suites and in attention to welcome her. Later she accepted three nurses from her country who are currently working in our hospital. They literally crawled forward and then where allowed to sit on the floor while talking, and then they crawled back, never showing their behind to her. It was a very interesting experience. And it made me think how much it sucks to be a princess. You never just a person, you are the title, the position, the expectations of their people, of the world. They can never trust that friends are really friends and not interest oriented. Everything they do is scrutinized. How sad it is to live in a glass bowl, even if gilded and with many perks.  They live such hard and isolated life. Every little girl is dreaming to be a princess, how far from the fairy tales it really is. I am so happy to live life so far from the limelight, so far from codes, so free to do whatever I want, so little obligations. I never realized how lucky I am until is saw this princess. She might be a kind soul; she might be a wonderful person, but she is bound by laws and rules that do not allow her to show that; maybe in the very private quarters of her home and only with very limited number of people around her.  
I am so thankful I was not born a princess. I am thankful to be anonymous and have my life all to myself. I am so thankful that I have to obey by so very few rule and codes of conduct. I am thankful I can lead my life as I wish, and I can always change it. I am thankful for my life as they are.

No comments: