Sunday, May 29, 2011

I am a Grandmother!!

Day 131 –In the past week or so I was going to bed every night making sure the phone is on, in case “the call” will come in the middle of the night. Tonight, I finally got the call very early this morning, around 3 am my time that the water broke and contractions started, but they are still staying at home. Two or three hours later my daughter called again that they are in the hospital. And few hours later, it was time to congratulate the new parents for the birth of this beautiful girl. It is so strange and sad to be so far away when the most important moment in my daughter’s life had come, but this is the life I chose and it means that I will celebrate many such occasions from far away. I can look at it and say how sad it is but today is a very special day and I am not going to spoil it in anyway, I will not bring my own heartaches into the midst of the party.  Today, May 29th my daughter became a mother, my husband and I became grandparents, each one of us on another continent, but still, we are both grandparents for this sweet baby and in reverse role. He, who used to be such an absentee father, was there all the way even present at the room for most of the delivery, and I, who used to be a stay home and always present mom, is the one who is the absentee grandmother.  Right now I want to say only one thing – O My God, I am a grandma!!! My daughter and her wife are mothers to a tiny little girl. Another miracle happened in this world.
How thankful I am to new technologies that enable these two young women to have a child of their own. I am thankful that we live in time and age when this kind of family is acceptable and will not feel different and unwanted. I am thankful for this miracle child, at times when so many children are not wanted, this girl will always know how much they wanted her and what they had to go through to have her. I am thankful today to be a grandmother for the first time. I know I will have many more grandchildren, but this is my first one and so it is very special time. OMG – I am a grandma!!!

No comments: