Monday, May 2, 2011

The World Best Coconut Soup

Day 104 - One of the things I miss the most when in my country is the variety of cuisines we are exposed to here. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, French, Italian, Persian, and Mexican and so many more. I didn't fully appreciate it until I had it no more. In my country you can get really good Mediterranean food and the others are good but not amazing. Especially not compare to here and the prices are high for these specialty restaurants. And so I make it a point to hit as many of my favorite establishments as I can during my visits. I already ate in a Mexican restaurant - and it was very good and today I met with my oldest daughter and her wife for dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant. The story of the owner is interesting - he worked as an engineer in a high tech company until he was laid-off and so he opened a Thai restaurant. This business worked so well for him that he opened a second location. He now has 5 locations throughout the area. They have the BEST coconut milk soup - hands down. I tried it in so many other restaurants - no one gets even closer to theirs. some of the other dishes are not as amazing but this one is just great. I loved that soup so much that I planted a tree of Kefir lime in my garden, just so I can have the leaves to season this soup year round. I call this tree - my coconut soup tree :)
So sometimes someones misfortunes are just a blessing in disguise. I am sure the owner of the restaurant is so much happier and definitely wealthier for the fact that he was laid off. And we, all the people of the area who are familiar with his mean soup are lucky as well.
And today I am thankful for being here and so being able to go to that restaurant and enjoy this amazing soup that was especially good today. I am thankful I could spend this lovely time with my daughter, my daughter-in-law and my future granddaughter. And I am especially thankful for the misfortunes in life and the great things some people can do and with them. I am thankful that for a few weeks we lived in temporary housing on this street, and that is how we found out about it.

No comments: