Tuesday, May 17, 2011

House Hunting

Day 119 – Our apartment is too small and too old to work for us, I said it several times already. We still have more than three months on our contract, but every few days I search again to see if something interesting is up for rent. I love the location I have right now. It’s perfect - very close to everything and yet a very quiet street with very little traffic. And I would like to find something similar, just bigger and more updated. This is a lot to ask and so there are not many apartments that fit the scrutinizing search. Today I decided not to be such a picky one and broaden the search a little. I set 4 appointments and we went to see them all this evening. (I love the fact that I can come and look at an apartment at 9:30pm!!). one got the top spot as “the worst apartment we’ve ever seen”, two were bad but not terrible and one was nice but we didn’t fall in love with it. So after some consideration and the less than perfect location we decided not to take that one as well. If in two months I still won’t find anything I might be less picky, but right now I still have time so I can wait for the right apartment to come by, I still have time before I have to compromise. So we came to few very important realizations
-          location is very, very important to us
-          we are ready to rethink it only for an amazing apartment elsewhere
So back to the search, just a little smarter. But this is actually why I wanted to start looking at the first place to get a feel for the market, to understand what is available and at what price range, and to set my priorities right.
Last year when I rented this place I didn’t have time to look much, not a car to drive all over the city, and very little money so I had to go for cheap and with that I got the too small and not in best of shape. I also didn’t know the city very well so I didn’t really know what is the right location for me, what are my needs etc. Now I know that. I can’t believe it is already 9 months since I moved into this apartment, almost 10 months since I moved back to my homeland.
I am thankful for the little things I learn about myself every single day, even if it is only understanding my priorities, to learn what is actually important for me on one more aspect of my life. I am thankful for having a car today so I can see 4 apartments in two very distant sides of town in such a short time. I am thankful for not having to take the first apartment I see, but for the luxury to choose. I am thankful I am working now and so I can afford a better apartment than I did last year. I am thankful most of all that after 10 months here I don’t even hesitate about committing for another year, for the fact that it feels like home, that I am here to stay.  

No comments: