Thursday, July 26, 2012

Painting Outside of my Comfort Zone

Day 555I took the day off from work today. I find it really interesting that we have to explain why we take a day off. You are taking a day off to do nothing? At the beginning I had all different kind of ideas what to do and then I saw the new painting I started on Tuesday – a mess of bold colors splashed all over the canvas - and I knew how my morning will look like. As usual, it is an interesting process, how a painting emerges under my brushs. I didn’t know what I am going to do, how do I fill the canvas and how I will tie it all together, I just knew I wanted to fix one patch, to make it more interesting, to make the color gradient flow better. So I did that, which led me to the next patch and the background… at some point I started taking pictures of the process because I found it so interesting. I was so absorbed in the creative process; it was just wonderful. The final action was to add black lines to the painting. I decided it will tie it all and bring more energy and focus. I have to admit it is almost scary because it can easily ruin the whole thing, black is so bold, but I saw enough works of artists doing that so I believed there is a good chance it will work, and so I took the brush, I put on my plate a little black paste and started working. It is so exciting to do that, to create borders and just movement line, that I added a big blob of black paste to my plate and started drawing lines all over. I had to restrain myself to not overdo it. I look at it now and I am so happy with this painting. It’s different than anything I ever did, it’s totally abstract and yet it has something that feels really good about it. I have to show it to my art teacher to see if he thinks I have to add something to it, but to me, it feels done. Even now, many hours later I sit here and I look at it and it just makes me feel SO good!
 
I am thankful I had the courage to break all the rules and try something totally different; it doesn’t sound like a big deal but it sure is, at least for me; it is so much easier to copy works that other people already did, it’s really not easy to do something for the first time. I am thankful for such a fun morning that even the fact I discovered that one of the girls on Tuesday took my white paint tube didn't ruin it; I just went to the nearest art shop and bought a new one. I am also so thankful he came back today from his trip; I missed him and it was so nice to see he missed me too, that it was not a déjà vu, like I was worried, that all is OK between us at the moment.     

No comments: