Thursday, July 19, 2012

Second Year Anniversary

Day 548 – two years ago today I said my final goodbyes to the country that was my home for 22 years, to the town that I was my home-town for the past 14 years, to the man I called my husband for 31 years. Sadly I also said goodbye to my oldest daughter and to my son. I said all these heart breaking goodbyes and with my youngest daughter boarded the plane that took us here. I had no plan, no place to stay after the first three weeks, no work and almost no money; what I did have is a burning desire to rebuild my life on my own terms for better or worse. It’s been a real journey; I learned who I am and what I am made of. I found a place to live; I found work and most importantly a nice group of friends. I took so many classes and read so many books and hiked so many roads and learned to call this place home and fall in love with it. I learned to trust men again and even to get hurt and to come out of it and still be ok. And all this time my daughter was here taking her own first steps in this old new country of ours. She joined the army shortly after we moved here and by now she is almost done with her service. And these two years were such an amazing bonding experience for us. We got to know each other on a totally different level; at times we were the only close family for each other; a friendship forged by fire. And tonight she is here with me and we celebrate this very special date in our lives. We both look at it as the best decision we ever did. 
I am thankful I mastered the courage to go forward into the unknown. I am thankful I decided not to accept ‘bearable’ as a way of life. I am thankful that at an age people start to slow down and get comfortable I decided to uproot myself and start living. I am thankful to all the good people along the way who made these two years the wonderful experience it was. I am thankful for kindness, for friendships for a helping hand or supportive shoulder, or consoling hugs. I am thankful for people who taught me again how special I am, how special we all are. and most of all I am thankful to my daughter who became my best friend and my support system; for being the wonderful and loving young woman she is; I am so proud to be her mom.      

No comments: