Saturday, November 15, 2014

The First Nobel truth

Day 1395 - reading some more in my Dzogchen Buddhism book I came to the Four Nobel Truths, the basis of Buddhism. Life is suffering, the fact that we arrived in our corporeal body into this world means that we will change from one moment to the next, that we will experience unhappy moments physically and emotionally and we are bound to get weaker, sicker and finally die. This is just a fact of life. There is nothing we can do that will change this fact. But this is not the source of the suffering; that one comes from the simple fact that we refuse to accept that; from trying to force reality to change; from our inability to really see the truth and accept it for what it is without loading it with emotions, desires, expectations, attachments, conditions... In short we are the cause of our sufferings nothing else. It sounds so logic and reasonable but it is very difficult to do. We are masters of avoidance, of denial and our ego walls so high. How do I go about slowly breaking habits of many years? How can I be more present in the little time I have on this planet, in this lifetime? I set my alarm clock to ring once an hour 12 times during the day, calling it a wake-up call. To remind me to come to the moment and be present. I ate my toast mindfully, chewing each bite about fifty times. Same idea, to be present in my life, to be more aware. I took a shower with the same practice- noticing the water, the soap, the sounds and sensations of such a simple act, by being aware. Will all that help? I have to do it and see for myself. But this is a tried path that so many walked before, that I know I can trust it. And in the mean time I get few awareness moments, if nothing else. And I am so thankful for that.

No comments: