Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I have a Dog

Day 175 – my mother-in-law is a very lonely woman. Her husband died 16 years ago and since then she is alone. And she feels really sorry for herself for that. She is full of complains how the whole family does not pay enough attention to her and no one cares, and so on. So I figured she needs a companion and since she refuses to date again I decided that a great gift for her 84th birthday that is coming in 2 days is a dog. It had to be a tiny and very quiet one, of course since she never had a dog. So when I came back for my trip I went with my daughter to the shelter and we picked up the dog she chose for that purpose few days earlier. So for the last two weeks I have a dog here. And by now I realized that she cannot have this dog, it just pretended to be quiet but it actually a very energetic one, and also she really doesn’t want a dog and it is the kind of present you have to get an approval for ahead of time. And I like the dog very much. So from a really great present idea she became ours, and when I think about it, it is so befitting – my daughter always asked for a dog and my ex always refused to let one be at the house, so now that we need no approval, it is time to get a dog. It is not all peachy of course. She is young and grew up in a shelter so she has no concept of house training. And I have to start teaching her to do her business only outside of the house and not to leave “presents” for me all over the house. So, I am working on training her. When I leave the house for work she has to stay in her training cage until I am back. But I think she starts understanding her commands so hopefully in a few weeks she will be house broken and I will not have to cage her anymore.
I didn’t have a dog at home since I left home (actually, we had a guide puppy, but after few months they decided we don’t discipline him enough and took him away) and it is a lot of fun. It’s a lot of work and this is one more reason I decided to not give her to grandma as a gift, but it is also so much fun.
I am thankful I had this idea of a dog as a present, and I am thankful it didn’t materialize. I am so thankful for this very sweet dog that is now part of our household. I am thankful we rescued her and gave her a loving home. I am thankful for all the joy the dog brings into my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have posted a picture of Minny and not another dog ;)

Mystic Store said...

true that. didn't have a picture at that moment. My appologies, Minny :)