Tuesday, July 19, 2011

One Year Anniversary

Day 182 – Today is the one year mark since I left my old life, my home and my partner of 32 years and moved back here, to my homeland, with my youngest daughter. I still remember the feeling of relief, the almost dis-belief that the moment I was planning towards for so long had finally arrived. It was difficult and many tears were shed that day, it is not something easy to leave everything I was part of for so many years, and just walk out the door. It was especially difficult since I left the country and so I knew I will not see my older children as much as I would like, that distance might draw us apart, but I could not stay any longer. I felt that it is self-preservation act on my part. I didn’t know where I am going and so I put my worldly possessions into storage, and took two suitcases with me, two carry-ons. One for the three or four weeks I was planning to stay here and one for the trip I was planning to take there-after. I still remember the state of mind in which I arrived here – elated on one hand but totally confused and not sure of my plans on the other. The only thing I knew was that I have to leave and make my own plans, live on my own terms with no excuses and no hiding. I didn’t know what I am going to do nor how am I going to do that, I only knew I was free to do whatever I want,  to make as many mistakes as I want. I am looking back a year later and I am so happy I found in me the courage to re-claim my life. I did not go on my world trip yet, I don’t have too many worldly possessions (still too much as can be testified by the last few boxes I find so hard to unpack), and I don’t have a new guy in my life. What I do have is me and I got to know myself so much better than  before. I am traveling the country as much as I can; I re-connected with my family, and old friends. I am blessed with some amazing friendships here, something I could only dream of, hope for. And most important of all, I am happy as I haven’t been in years. There is not a single day in which I look back and wish I didn’t made that move. I have changed so much in the past year; I did so much growing up and self-development.

I am so thankful as I approach this monumental landmark – one year anniversary to my new life here. I am so thankful for the courage I mastered to take that step. I am thankful for dear friends old and new who took part in this journey and helped making it such a wonderful one. I am thankful for all the wonderful books that "crossed my path" this year and directed me in the right direction, with the right attitude, And I am especially thankful to my youngest daughter who was my closest friend and partner throughout this forming year, you gave me the strength when I had none left. Thanks to everybody who touched my life and made it better.

Salute!!    

No comments: