Saturday, October 1, 2011

Doing Something Lovely for Myself

Day 256 – I’m still on the program of “The Artist’s Way”. It is the end of week 10 now and the subject is “Recovering a sense of self-protection”. I like that idea to check what is in the way of my creativity. One of my assignments for the week was to do something lovely for myself every day of the week. I loved that idea, but it also made me realize how much I don’t do that enough. Isn’t that strange – we complain if our loved ones don’t do that, but when it comes to ourselves, we overlook that. Why don’t I ever think in those terms about myself? Do something lovely for myself every day. I actually had to think hard – what can I do that will be lovely? I chose an hour of music. I love music, it connects really deep in my soul, it moves my heartstrings in a way nothing else does. But I don’t take the time just to sit and listen. So today this was my gift – an hour of doing nothing but listening to Rachmaninoff’s concerto number 2 for piano and orchestra – one of my favorite pieces. My phone was off, my eyes where closed and I just allowed the music to penetrate my soul. What an amazing experience!! I listen to it 3 times before deciding it is enough and then I went to my last week painting and kept working on it when the music, the same music, still blasting in my ears. An artist’s date like no other.

I am thankful for this program that brings me to places I would never search on my own. I am thankful for this idea to do something lovely for myself, and I think I am going to try and do it even after the week is done. I am thankful for this amazing music and its magical impact on me it made me happy beyond words. I am thankful for the music in my life.

No comments: