Monday, October 10, 2011

Sad News

Day 265 I got today a very sad e-mail. A friend whom I didn’t talk to in several months asked for my new phone number and told me that our music teacher the one who lead the singing group I was part of few months ago, died. He was 53 years old. I did not go for practice since I flew back to see my new granddaughter, I talked to him few days before, telling him I am traveling and I got so busy upon my return that I just forgot all about it. Apparently he died few days after we talked. He had a massive heart attack and didn’t make it. You always hear these stories but to know the man who just died is very different. And it makes me so sad that I didn’t even know about it for so long, for 4 months. He was such a nice man, gentle and kind; he had family that he left behind with no answers. It is so sad to die so young and so not ready. I had this discussion with my kids many times if it’s better to have a sudden death or to die of illness and I think it is better to have a little slower death so you have time to say your goodbyes and try to get some closure. But especially that the people around will have some time o get use to the idea and to start the letting go.
It is so sad when someone dies such a sudden death and at such an early age – there is still so much we leave open with great plans for the future. I can only hope that when my time comes, I will have time to prepare for it and I will not be forced to leave abruptly. I don’t want to suffer of course, but I don’t want it to be too abrupt. I am a woman of many words I want to be able to say them all before I leave.
We have to be thankful for life, especially at the face of such death. I am thankful for every day I wake up in the morning and for every day I get to end with a good night sleep. I am thankful for every day of my life; for good days, for great days and even for lousy days, because they all have in them the great promise of a ‘Tomorrow’.

May my friend and teacher Michael Ben-Dov rest in peace.

No comments: