Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gilad is Safe at Home

Day 273 Today I participated in the annual Jerusalem March, as part of my work team. People from over 40 countries came to take part in this festive event, and what a special day it was. Our bus left at 5am for Jerusalem, which translate to waking up at 3am, so I’ll have time to attend to my morning pages and take my dog for a very early walk. On the way to Jerusalem the broadcasting of the events leading to Gilad Shalit’s release started (see yesterday’s blog if you don’t know what I am talking about). And slowly things started to unfold, buses full of terrorists driven to the borders under very heavy security, the preparations for Gilad’s welcome here first in the border post for a quick evaluation of his mental and physical condition as well as giving him a soldier uniform and then he will be taken by a helicopter to an air force base where he will meet his family. But when we arrive to Jerusalem he was still in Hamas hands. We had few radios with us and phones so to get updates. We finished our march, which we did extra fast, we walked to the big park were we end this first part of the march and watched on a very large screen the first pictures of Gilad. He was very pale, extremely thin, and a little hesitation in his gait, but alive and even smiling, and it seems that he is in better mental shape than anyone dared to hope. The whole nation stopped everything they did in order to watch frame by frame the story unfolds. I cannot imagine a better place to be today than in our capital, Jerusalem, watching with more than 10,000 other people as Gilad was making his first steps as a free man. I was crying rivers today, like so many others, it was moving beyond words. And I was so proud to be an Israeli today; to witness firsthand how much we all care for each other, how much at times of need the whole country becomes united, breath as one. Jerusalem was covered with signs welcoming Gilad back home.
This march is taking place in Jerusalem for many years. I am sure it will always be remembered as the march when Gilad was finally released. It was so special to walk on the streets of our ancient capital and be so proud to be Israeli, and to be there and to know what this country just did in order to bring back home one of its soldiers.  
I am thankful beyond words that a nightmare of 5 years is finally over. I am thankful Gilad is back home and safe with his family on the long way to recovery. I am thankful I had the opportunity to do the Jerusalem March. After so many years abroad I am trying to catch up and this is one of those events. Check.

No comments: