Sunday, September 8, 2013

A thousand thanks

Day 962 - I realized today that I am not doing my thanks good enough, or I should probably rephrase it: I can do better than that. I wake up every morning - a huge thanks right there. I sleep in my bed, in a nice house, I have sheets and blankets and pillows. I can go to my bathroom and have running water, hot and cold,  that are coming out of a faucet with no effort on my part. I have TP and don't have to use a banana leaf, I don't have to squat; I can take a shower and use a nice shampoo, a soap and end it with a clean towel. I have clean and freshly smelled clothes to wear. I think I can stop here. When we really start counting our blessing we realize it's an endless list. I think I can say more than a hundred thank-yous before I even leave my home in the morning. How can we, even for one moment, look at the little things that are not perfect - like breaking up with my boyfriend - to color my day in any other color than bright and happy yellow and green; how can I see anything other than bright and happy blessings all around me. So what can I add to this amazing list of daily thanks? what is my extra story of the day. I just want to add that unlike the previous brake-ups, this time I am strong and determined to go through with it; to go through the pain and stick to my guns. I know I am doing the right thing, I know I deserve more from a relationship, and I know that the man I met almost 10 months ago has changed so much and I don't like what I see now. I also know I cannot and should not change him; it's just that I can decide whether this is good enough for me or not. And when I examine it in this light the answer is NO. So I am thankful for the clarity, I am thankful for one too many times, that finally opened my eyes to realize this is the reality of our life together; I am thankful for the first few months that were wonderful and for the last few months that were not. I think the growing polarization made it easier for me to end it, so I am very thankful for that; I was more afraid of the pain than it actually hurts. I am thankful for being here to say all my thanks. I am thankful for everything. 
  
I am thankful for my life, just as they are right now, I am thankful beyond words for my good fortune, for the blessings the universe bestows on me every single day. I am thankful for the past 10 month, for the love that came back to my life, even if it didn't last very long.  

No comments: