Monday, September 2, 2013

Preparations for the new year

Day 956 - It is the end of the Jewish year and you feel it all over. We are going to my parents' for the holiday. And my job was to make the traditional fish-balls called "gefilte fisch". My mom didn't want to try and make the gluten free kind so I am responsible for that. A good thing probably since my daughter prefers the ones I make anyway. It is a big thing now that I don't live in the city since I don't know where to buy it here, if at all possible; so I buy my fish from the same store, which means taking my car to work today and after work driving there to pick it up. But it's totally worth it. I got every thing and then came home and cooked it and by now all is ready and we have enough fish to have some we can keep here for when we come back. So I still have to buy a gift for my parents but at least the fish is done, and it came out very good. 
  
I am thankful I already finished cooking; usually I make it at the last minute and I am glad I did it early this time. I am thankful we can be with my parents this year; who knows how much time we still have together. I am thankful for the year that is ending; I will do a more thorough evaluation but for now just to acknowledge it's almost over and what a special year it was. 

No comments: