Saturday, May 17, 2014

Getting old

Day 1213 - an hour long driving around with my father brought to the surface some of the issues that cause frustration and pain. It enabled a serious discussion later with both of my parents about ways to ease the burden and make things easier. It made me feel so good I was there. I could help my mom and give her few hours if rest, few hours of distraction from a very difficult reality and maybe the understanding that she is not all alone in this, that if all looks too dark she has a back up. It also made me realize how frail both of them are becoming, how delicate is the balance. As far as they live, I am going to make this trip at least once a month. In short it was a very important visit and I am very happy I didn't listen to my mom and drove the distance. It's not easy getting old; I still remember them younger and strong, I still remember their hand supporting my little hand, guiding and leading and now I am the one that needs to help their unsure one. And one day I will be in the same situation looking at my kids frail and unsure. The cycle of life can be cruel. I can only hope my dice will roll well. I can only hope my parents' luck will hold on.
 
I am thankful for a very good visit. I am thankful to my daughter for making have trip with me. I am thankful my father is getting back his strength and doing so much better than I was hoping after such a serious injury.

No comments: