Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A new family

Day 595 - I drove with my son's girlfriend to bring her son here. He spent the weekend with his father and she drove to pick him up and bring him here. It is a 250 miles drive - 3 1/2 hours in each direction and she just jumped to the car and did it. She is driving that at least twice a week for the past month. If this is not love than I'm not sure what is. So I decided that I'll accompany her so at least she'd have an alternate driver. We talked all the way there and all the way back and I learned so much about my son and her feelings towards him. At some point along the way back,  she admited to being tired and we switched. After the long drive, being confined to a car seat, the little boy just wanted to run around and so they took him out with a ball and we spent the next two hours running around, kicking the ball, he climbed some rock pile, played in the park, in short got to be an energetic toddler. I enjoyed seeing how lax they are with the kid, hiw they allow him to be a kid without treating him like a small adult; it is the same philosophy I hold, so it us much easier for me to cennect to that. I enjoy very much to see my son getting into the role if the male figure in this young biy's life, how they looked so much like an organic family and how much the kid loves him. It makes me so happy to see how happy my son is in this new and unfamiliar setting. How by having this wonderful girl in his life he changed and matured so much. It makes me so happy to see this little family starting to build life for themselves; not to anyone else's definitions but their own. 

I am thankful to see my son coming to his own, to see the boy turning into a responsible young man. I am thankful to be gere and be able to help even if so little. I am thankful to this young woman, my son' girlfriend who is so nice and kind and welcoming to me. I am thankful for being allowed to drop in and witness their life so close and personal for a few days. 

No comments: