Friday, September 7, 2012

More bad news with a twist

Day 598 - this is my last day of the trip/ tomorrow I am starting my long way home. Sadly this last day that was suppose to be just a day I'd hang out with my son turn to be a very difficult day. after less than a week in his new job my son lost his job. We were suppose to meet for lunch to take care of some stuff but he called me about half an hour before the scheduled time and told me the bad news. He was of course in a very bad mood and very disheartened. As I was writing few days ago, he now has a family to support and it puts so much more pressure on him and especially the fact that he held the job for only a few day. add to that the fact that in this ruthless country the poor go without health insurance since paying on your own if you don't have a corporate job is way too expensive so it is not only an income that he is missing now but also the promise of health insurance for himself and for his family. He was floored and I am so thankful I was still here so I could help him pull himself out of the desperation. During the last few months since he was finishing his college and could not work he accumulated a lot of debt, not as loans but things he just deferred paying and all are accumulating fees in an alarming rate. So I told him that loosing his cool is a luxury he cannot afford right now and we have to get down to business. First of all we have to take care of all the debt and than he will be abler to start a new; and this is what we did. It is amazing how just taking care of everyday things like paying bills gets a load off ones shoulder. This and a strong moral support from his girlfriend made the whole situation less bleak. I told him he has to be very honest with her and be able to express his frustration and his fears but also to promise her that he will do what ever it takes to make sure that they will be OK; that he had to trust her and he did and she reacted so much better that he even dared to hope. You never know who is the person you are dealing with until such situation and she is as amazing as I thought she is. I think my son is very lucky to have someone like her in his life; I truly believe they will come of it so much better for going through it. Sometimes life throws a curve ball towards us and it is so easy to feel sorry for ourselves instead of seeing the opportunity and the hidden blessing in it. I am sure this will be such an occasion if he will see it as such and open himself to what it will brings with it.

I am thankful I was still here for this difficult moment when he really needed a helping hand; I don't even want to think how bad it could have been for him if he was all alone here, how bad I would feel if I was already on my way back. I am thankful that I was able to be the calming voice and that we were able to sort all the loose ends and put a gain a solid foundation from which to start. I am thankful I was here to witness how he recovered and was able to see his way more clearly again. I am thankful I was here to see the amazing relationship he has with his girlfriend; One can take a lot of bad things if he has so much love and support and It makes me so happy that he manage to create such a great thing; it is not something to take for granted and I am so happy that as sad as he might be at the moment he has this place of great happiness in his life. I am thankful for this trip, I accomplished so much more than I even dared to hope and I am thankful beyond words for that.     

No comments: