Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mammography

Day 642 - Three years ago a very  good friend of mine died of breast cancer. She battled it for several years with many ups and downs until she succumbed to the disease. She died few months before I moved back here. In the summers when I came to visit here, before I actually moved back, we used to sit for hours and talk even about her eminent death. She was an amazing and ש very brave woman and those traits intensify during the period when she got sicker and sicker. When she died I decided that from now on I'll be more diligent about my mammograms. But I didn't. It's easy to forget that which we don't want to remember. I really don't know why since all it takes if about 10 minutes of my time and what is on the balance is so significant and can be the difference between life and death. But last week I saw the doctor and finally I asked for a referral and today I actually came and did the mammography; and I even survived to tell the story. I really have no explanation why I delayed it for so long. Now I only have to wait for the results, to get a clean slate for another year. But I am going to be more responsible towards my health and do all the necessary tests in order to give early detection and higher rate of survival a chance, should the disease strike. It's very simple, the fact that I don't take the screenings will not prevent the disease, it can only minimize my chances of survival. so for the memory of my beloved friend, for the sake of promoting my chances to stay as long as I can on this earth in this lifetime, I am going to practice health responsibility.  

I am thankful I finally did my mammography. I am thankful for hours of fun talking to a guy I met at the jazz club on Friday  I have to admit, it's refreshing after the serious guys I always dated  (!). I am thankful for a night of music in the choir. I am thankful for a long day that is coming to its end.  

No comments: