Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The circle of life

Day 645 - almost two and a half years after we went our separate ways we made it official today by finalizing our divorce. We already filed for a civil divorce where we used to live, but in my country you have to get also a religious divorce to make it official. And so we did it today and I am now officially divorced. The interesting thing is that after such a long time and when all was said and done I felt nothing. It makes me sad to think about it, how much it was over-due. We both felt the same way; all the drama is long gone, all life went out of this union that started in such a high note, a love story like in the books and ended when both sides are much older and really tired of each other; a place love left years ago, an empty shell that we finally decided to call off. We were waiting our turn sitting next to each other, making jokes, telling stories and the rabbis kept asking us if we want to re-consider our decision since it sure looks like we are good friends. But we became friends again only after I left, just after we stopped living under the same roof and have the space and the distance we needed. No regrets, not at this stage. I wish we were smarter years ago to keep our love alive but now it's a dead horse that we buried today.  In the evening we went to the wedding of our best friends' daughter, a young woman that is called the same as me since her mom liked my name so much. I know this girl since the day she was born and today I saw her getting married. It felt like my own daughter got married! it was so moving; I actually cried. We were there all the three of us me, my daughter and my ex for one fleeting moment it was like old times. How symbolic on the same day that our marriage officially ended another marriage officially started - the circle of life!! and the wedding was amazing - so happy and for ours everyone danced. We left at 1:30 am and people were still dancing at full force I just knew I had an hour drive ahead of me and I was already very tired. I barely made it home; so now I am going to sleep because in less than 4 hours I have to wake up and go to work!


I am thankful we finally finished the divorce. I am thankful we did it in such a civilized and friendly way. I am thankful for an amazing wedding we got to be part of. I am thankful for being part of the ebb and flow of life. I am thankful most of all for going to sleep right now; I am sooo tired!

No comments: