Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Out of the army

Day 651 - A little over two years ago we came here, my daughter and I, full of dreams and hopes but facing the unknown. We have just left our home and comfortable life behind and moved here, not knowing what to expect but sure it will be something good; that it will be better and more meaningful than what we had. Trusting ourselves we will make it as such. Few months later my daughter Joined the army only a month after she almost died of anaphylactic shock, so happy to be alive, so proud to join the armed forces and help defend our country. Today marked the end of this important period of her life. She was released from service and joined the reserves. She started here as an emigrant, not really rooted here and with almost no friends; she came here with big hopes and big dreams and today she can proudly say she fulfilled one of her more important dreams and a right of passage if she wants to integrate into this society. She had and amazing and most rewarding job, she has so many friends, she speaks the language like a native and she really feels part of the web of life. Mission accomplished in more ways than she ever thought possible. She joined the army as a teenager and today she steps out as a very confident young woman, with great skills for life and a strong feeling of accomplishment. She is all grown up and ready to face the world, to spread her wings. Looking at her and how sad she was to leave her friends and job behind it made me so happy, she is doing the right thing; this place is the right place for her. She is so rooted here by now it is a pleasure for me to see that, how she blossoms. Congratulations, my love!!!
  
I am thankful for this amazing day that is finally here, bitter sweet but so meaningful, when my daughter took her first steps as a civilian. I am thankful I was here for the past two years and witnessed her falls and triumphs; that I was with her every step of the way. I am thankful that what started as a dream ended today on such a high note. I am thankful for a very meaningful and open talk I had with my father; it think it cleared the air so much and maybe even opened new ways into our hearts. I am thankful he was here today and could enjoy this very special moment in time with us. 

No comments: