Friday, March 22, 2013

A mistake

Day 794 - More than a month ago my daughter asked me if she can take my car this weekend. I agreed, of course so she and a few of her friends bought tickets for an event that takes place this weekend. Now all is very ordinary in this story and nothing to write home about but for the little fact that for some reason it didn't register with me that it is this weekend. So, not comprehending that, I registered for a trip with our hiking group, promising to take 3 passengers with me, none of them has a car of his own.  and to make things worse, she called me from the bus already on her way to me, and in our country on Friday after 2 pm nothing works, all businesses are close for the weekend. Now what can you do with two conflicting obligations and one little car? obviously, it can't be in two places at once and definitely not with 9 people on board. A quick analysis of the situation made me realize that the only solution is to drive to the airport, being the only such business open on Friday night, and rent a car there. I called them and could not even place a reservation, it's on a first come basis at those hours, unless I had a prior reservation. I decided to take my chances, believing the universe is with me, and so we did. An hour and a half drive in each direction, and a much higher rent than I could get, had I planned it ahead of time, but the problems was solved. I took the rental car and my daughter took mine, she is too young to be able to rent here, and we parted to our separate ways, happy we found a solution to a crisis and some quality time even if it was while driving. I was very happy I was able to come on the spot with a solution to such a problem. I like it that I can keep calm and cool and find a non conventional way to solve problems. And especially in a case like ours where we had to solve it almost on the spot...
  
I am thankful for this ability to stay calm and clear headed in times of crisis. I am thankful for the solution I came up with. I am thankful the universe was with me and I was able to find a rental with no reservation in this high season, the hottest time of the year - Passover is on Monday night. I am thankful I can afford to make this kind of a solution, that I don't have to count every cent and one mistake will not break me; I don't take it for granted like I once did. 

No comments: