Monday, June 20, 2011

A Board Game Night

Day 152 – and today a very productive day (in my world, I know some people who would beg to differ). I had a business morning, went to see my daughter and had wonderful time just holding my little granddaughter (she is absolutely adorable), drove with my son to the coastal area, had lunch there, slept on the beach for an hour and after getting back home spent the past 8 hours playing a wonderful board game called ”Axis and Allies”. My son loves this game and I always refused to play it because it’s so elaborate and looked intimidating; it takes an hour just to set up the game!! Luckily he did it yesterday so we could come home and started playing. We are not even half done, but it is so late and he has work tomorrow so I had to “force” him to take a break and we sure will get back to it tomorrow. We played few days ago the game “Risk” which looks very promising on the get go but too much of it is just pure luck. You do have the element of luck here as well, but not to the same degree and you can gage it better, in short a great game for the real gamers. I don’t know why I didn’t play it with him before but we will sure come to it again on my next visit or his visit to our side of the world. This game should come with a warning – if you are a real gamer it’s extremely addictive. So some people might find it a great waste of time but I got to spend a whole evening with my son, doing something he really likes and not many people will play him, so for him it’s a real treat and you also develop strategic thinking and realizing the situation in the world during WWII. How close was the free world to lose the battle to the axis forces and also the different strategies of the allied forces. As a gamer and a history buff – this is a real treat for me too. And I got to see an aspect of my son I rarely see. And I learned something about myself as well – I like strategy games, even though they are difficult for me, and I like these kind of games. I much prefer spending an evening in battle of the game than to sit and watch TV, go to a restaurant and even read a book.
I am so thankful to my son for this very special day. I am thankful to my daughter and her wife for letting me see the baby one more time before I fly back home. I am especially thankful for a great evening of “Axis and Allies” board game.

No comments: