Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Desperately Needed Sleep

Day 161 – I worked late yesterday, unpacking boxes and putting my stuff away. By the time I got into bed it was almost 2 am and I was dead tired and my whole body was sore. I set my alarm clock to 6 am feeling bad about the little sleep time I had left and then I remembered that I have scheduled for today another platelets donation. I will have two hours to sleep! And this is exactly what happened. I actually told them as I came in that I just moved two days ago and I am so very tired and I am planning to sleep the whole time. The cool thing is that here you donated platelets lying in bed, whereas at the place I came from you do it sitting and you are not suppose to fall asleep. So I got into bed let them hook me to the machine asked for an extra blanket and promptly went to sleep.   The truth is I was in and out of sleep the whole time because the machine kept beeping every few minutes and they had to come and try to move my arm around to get better readings, but still it was so great to have the extra sleep time. I woke up two hours later refreshed and ready to face my day and I also did something good at the same time. The funny thing is I talked to my youngest daughter, who flew few days ago to visit her siblings and her dad and to see her little niece, and I found out she donated platelets there few hours earlier, and we didn’t know we both did it until later. Great minds think alike.
I am thankful for this opportunity to do something good for a stranger in need. It makes me so happy every time I do that. Especially now, after I talked to my friend who is going through chemo I understand even more the importance of those donations. Some people would not be alive if it wasn’t for that. I am thankful that while doing something so important I also got those precious hours of sleep I really needed. Both things did my day and I am thankful for that.

No comments: