Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Night Dinner


Day 150 – this evening we were supposed to meet my daughter, her fiancé and their daughter. Half an hour before the time they were scheduled to come, she called and said they will not come since she is crying all day and they are trying to do some new things with her with the hope it will calm her down. Instead we invited few friends and we had a nice evening. I was really looking forward to this evening, having one dinner all the family (almost minus my youngest daughter who stayed in my homeland and will come here after I am back there), but it didn’t work as planned – you can’t really make firm plans with babies. Till it was nice to have these friends come over, especially since they are really good friends and she is going through chemo right now, I actually drove her today to get her treatment, so it is nice to do something for them and a chance for me to see them one more time before I leave. The truth is that I really enjoyed cooking today. I didn’t do much of it in the past year and I sure am getting back to it, now that I am moving to my new apartment and will have room for all my stuff. There is no substitution to good home cooking.
This is my second and last weekend here. I will spend as much time as I can with my son, maybe see a few friends and some work meetings and I am done. It was a long vacation – two weeks. I didn’t accomplish as much as I hoped for but it is what it is. I will have to seriously consider it next time. Maybe I will ask my son to come to me and send him a ticket. I still hope I will be able to see my granddaughter also. But it is going to be a long time before I’ll see her again, before I’ll be here again. For 22 years we lived here and didn’t travel much since we always came in the summers back to see our parents. I am not going to do that again in the other direction. I will come once a year but will not continue the 4 times a year. I can’t afford it and so I’ll just send for my son once or twice a year and will take one real vacation as well. I am very excited about that. So maybe everything is for the better, I will finally get to do my own things as well and not feel bad about going on vacation to wherever I want without feeling guilty about that.
I am thankful for a very lovely evening with family and friends. I am thankful for this great opportunity to cook. I am thankful I still remember how to cook and I still enjoy it so much. I am thankful for the disappointment and for my ability to handle it without being upset. I am thankful I got back my freedom to travel.

No comments: