Saturday, June 11, 2011

Superwoman


Day 143– last time I was here I talked about a friend of mine who is going through chemo and was in a very low point. She was very weak back then, to the point she called me one day to come to her home and help her get out of her car and into bed, since she was so weak and couldn’t do it on her own. That picture of her being so exhausted stuck with me. I went to visit her a day after my arrival here, two days ago and she said she feels much stronger and she looked better, but we were at her house and she did get tired after about an hour, so I didn’t realize how much better she is right now. Today she called me and asked if I feel like going out to lunch and she came with her car to pick me up. We had a lovely time and i was amazed at the change. She already cleaned her house this morning and burned a CD for a friend. She was full of energy, almost as much as before and I loved it. I am amazed how well she's coping with this ordeal. blogging away and facebooking to the world, including pictures of herself totally bold. I am amazed by her courage and resilience. I hope that if i will have to face this disease i will be able to do it with the same level of openness and with the same strength of character. I hope that when I will be put to the ultimate test I will raise to the challenge. I would love to think I will, I have some reasons to believe I will, but we can never know until put to the test. Time and again it brings back the importance of the human spirit. A disease might get into our body, even claim our body, but it can never claim our spirit and soul if we don’t allow that.

I am thankful for this long term relationship that gets stronger with time. I am thankful I was there when she was at such low point and I am so thankful she chose to go out to lunch with me when she got her strength back. I am thankful for this amazing example of the human spirit, it taught me so much about my friend and about myself.

No comments: