Monday, June 6, 2011

A Trip to See My Granddaughter

Day 139 – I am in the train now on my way to the airport. I am flying back to where I used to live for so many years. I was there last month, but since then my little granddaughter was born and so I am flying back now to see her for the first time. I am very excited about that, of course, a new stage in life and it has to be celebrated properly. This is what separates one day from the next, slowing down for one moment the rat race we all engage in and just look around, enjoy what we see, appreciate every moment on its own. So this new experience is what this trip is all about. I know of course that I will not spend two weeks only looking at her and I will do some other things as well, but I will keep them mellow so it will be remembered as my granddaughter trip. It’s so funny, being away and so not so much into the whole pregnancy and delivery makes it a little more remote and it didn’t really sink-in yet. But I am sure that the next two weeks will do it and at the end of the visit it will be so different than now. I am happy to go there and see her, see my oldest daughter, and my son will back from college for the summer, so I’ll get to spend some time with him, without having to fly between the two places; so overall a very good trip. The only down side is that I leave my youngest daughter here and so I will not see her now for two weeks, and two or three days after I come back she flies out for a month to see the baby and her siblings, whom she didn’t see now for half a year. That means that we will not see each other for a month and a half. This never happened to us before and it makes me be even happier that I decided to stay here. I don’t know how we would have done that. At some point you learn to be away from your kids, you learn to let  go, but I am so thankful that time is not here yet.

I am thankful for this coming trip. I am thankful I can afford to travel and see my children and granddaughter; I am so excited to see them.  I am thankful that I have such a wonderful job and wonderful boss, so understanding and flexible that would let me travel like that. I am thankful for the tears my youngest daughter shed, not many parents still have such great connection with an adult child, I know that and I am extremely thankful for all her love. This year was an amazing bonding experience for us, and I am thankful for that. It is something I’ll always cherish.

No comments: