Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Granddaughter

Day 141 – I just saw my little granddaughter!! She is so cute. They came and she was asleep so I had to wait until she woke up and ate but it was so nice even just to watch her and hear all the little sounds she makes in her sleep. She has the sweet smell of a newborn – the best smell possible – and she makes these little gestures and makes her little sounds… it’s funny how much entertainment one little baby can be. After she ate I got to hold her. What can I say, it’s almost overwhelming - a little bundle of joy, cliché but so true. I know I’ll miss so much in her life but at least for the next two weeks, I hope to see as much of I can of her.
We came from families that were almost wipe off during the holocaust, for a family like that to see yet one more generation, for my dad to have great-grandchildren, 3 within one month, is a blessing almost beyond comprehension. She has no blood connection to him, but still, it is his great granddaughter by adoption, and the family is getting larger and lots of little ones are joining us and it is so optimistic, so much a continuation of a line that was almost extinct.

I am thankful that I finally got to see and hold my granddaughter. I am so thankful that with all the tension that was here before, we managed to bridge it enough so they felt ok to include me in their happiness at this special time in their life.

No comments: