Tuesday, August 2, 2011

After 12 Years of Silence

Day 196 – part of my week’s assignments was to tend to the neglected parts of my soul, to the things I like doing and never find the time for them. I chose two activities – meditation and photography. So this morning when I took my dog for her morning walk, yes at 6:00 am, I took my camera with me. It is interesting how much I became aware of my environment once I had a camera in my hand. Suddenly the same park I walk every day had completely different colors, every group of trees was interesting, the buildings surrounding this park, and the light the golden light of early morning – it was magical. I took my time and shot pictures close ups as well as landscape, I was totally in the moment, absorbed in this assignment. It made me realize how important it was. Everything looked fresh and different, as it should, because in our ever changing world it is not really the same as it was yesterday or as it will be tomorrow. If it looks the same then I don’t pay close enough attention to the small changes. It reminded me the movie “Smoke” where he shoots one picture every day at exactly the same time, in the same angle and every day it is different, since different people are walking by, the weather changes, the light… I was so elated by the experience that on my way to work I stopped at one of the most beautiful points in our city and shot few more pictures, again of the golden light. So after 12 years of almost complete shut off I am back. Playing witness to every day wonders. I took 40 pictures in about an hour. I was so much in awe of the beauty around meand my active part in this, it reminded me a line from one of  Rumi’s poems – “There are so many ways to kneel and praise the Lord” – this is how I felt, that taking these pictures are almost a form of worship.
 
I am thankful beyond words for this gift, of being present in my life, for being in the moment, for actually seeing. I am thankful my heart can still see and feel and be moved so much, once I take my time, once I open my eyes. I am so thankful for this assignment. I will not let this love of mine disappear from my life again.

No comments: