Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reading Deprivation

Day 210 – I doing week 4 of the program “the artist’s way” and part of this week’s assignments is reading deprivation. She claims, and I pretty much agree with her, that we use reading as an escape, as a shield from reality, as time filler. And so in order to push us to do things instead of hiding we are not allowed to read (outside of work). The only exceptions as far as I am concerned are work and this blog. So how do I fill my time when I cannot read, and I am an avid reader? In the past two days I was working for many hours on the photo book. I think that in two days max I am done with the first book – just in time to order when the coupon is still in effect. I was also planning to go to a movie today, but it didn’t work – I’ll do it later this week. Tomorrow I am going to folk dancing class, and on Thursday I might go to the karaoke club (finally) and on the weekend I want to go one day to a gallery and enjoy some local art. It’s interesting how much things one can do when not reading. It sure is something to think about. I can live life vicariously, or I can actually go out and do something. I can open my eyes my mind, and my heart to new things, I can’t find anything negative about that. so what I am learning from a week like that is that a way of self-caring and of expanding my horizons and maybe even get some new ideas and new inspiration is to go out and get lost every time in a new place. Maybe this is going to be my artist date this week – get lost in a city. Just walk the streets aimlessly, and watch and listen and absorb all the surroundings. I really like this program- it makes me look at my life in a different way every week and it makes me try new things in a way I never thought before. I am always so proud of my love for reading, I never realized it can be used as a shield, or a barrier, I never realized that like everything else it has to be done in moderation. No excess is good, not even reading. And so even when this week is over I will try to keep this in mind and use my limited reading time for extra special things. And use the free time for something creative instead.
I am thankful for my more step towards opening my eyes so I can live a more conscious life and make better choices. I am thankful for the new ideas I keep incorporating into my daily life that is far from routine by now. I am thankful for the extra free hours and for some new activities. And most of all I am thankful for an uneventful day, I learned to appreciate that this week.

No comments: