Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to the Gym

Day 211 – when I just moved here I was very excited about doing things right. One of these things was get back in shape and so I signed up for a local gym. I was very diligent the first few weeks and showed up at the gym almost every day. but soon things started to pile up on the way to the gym and as is the case when I am not fully committed to something - I start giving myself excuses and soon enough every day becomes every week and then twice or three times a month and I am ashamed to say that there was even a month I didn’t go at all. So my first reaction when I finally realized what’s going on was to cancel my membership at the gym, but I am happy to report I resisted this temptation and decided to go for option B instead – actually start going to the gym again.  I started with that last week and this week I already went twice and I am planning to go either Friday or Saturday again to have a three times a week routine which is good and I will be happy to keep that frequency. And I am trying to get back to running, pending my knees condition. I ran today almost 1 mile and I will try to build it up to 6 (10K) so i can participate in the Nike Running in November. This is my goal – let’s see if I can make it. I definitely have enough time, I trained for a marathon in 4 months, the question is will my knees be up for the challenge as well. I hope that wrapping, and icing as well as good stretching will help. But even if I can’t run that much anymore I am very happy to be back at the gym and I’ll try not to fall behind again. It is part of what I want to do for myself – take care of my physical shape. I am now at this age that if I want to keep being healthy I have to work for it; I have to eat well and exercise. I am planning to do just that.
I am thankful for a good workout today, it’s only 1 mile but it is a good way to start. I am thankful for withstanding the temptation and not quit when I realized I am not doing something I committed to, but instead got back on the horse. I am thankful for this renewed decision to take care of my body and exercise. I am most thankful for my health and I will do my very best to keep it.

1 comment: