Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Searching for Prior Patents

Day 218 – I started the research to see if I have a patent or is it protected by another patent. I was working on it for a few hours. So far I found one patent that can overlap a little and only because the claims are very wide. But I have no problem going around it and actually I was leaning in that direction anyway – it is a simpler solution. I will consult with the patent lawyer to make sure I am right, but I think I am in the clear. But this is just day 1 of research, a 3 hours activity and I’ll need many more to be sure I am in the clear. But it is a very interesting process, and I sure will learn a lot from doing the research. And it keeps me in motion, and moving towards my target. In a week or two I will contact a professional to finish the research. I just wanted to weed out the easy ones. If I find a patent wide enough in this stage than I might have to give it up. Until then I can keep dreaming. And I love it; it’s invigorating. I gave up today going dancing folk dances so I could work a little. The lawyer told me that most patents never amount to anything and reading some of the stuff I can see why. I think some people submit patents just so they can have one, just for bragging rights. But that’s not me. I am looking for a patent to make sure I am not developing something already protected and if it’s not – I am taking it all the way to the market.
I am thankful for starting my journey into the field of entrepreneurship. I am thankful for an interesting evening invested in me, in my invention. I am thankful that so far I am still in the clear and so I can go to sleep optimistic.

No comments: