Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Failed Test

Day 343 – few months ago I started helping with an initiative to help blind people. The idea was to import and give to them “electrical cane” one that emits ultrasonic waves and warn against obstacle according to their echoes. We even got the support of all the officials for such an enterprise. Few weeks ago we presented the idea to the heads of one of the blind groups here and we asked them to test it. They liked the idea and loved the fact that some people are interested in helping their community and gladly recruited volunteers for the test. And today was the big day. We came there and presented the “cane” explained how it works and out we went to the real world. It was a very important lesson for us. I tested it many times at home, but I am a seeing woman and even without wanting to cheat, if I was not sure of my step – I peeked, most time not even realizing I was doing that. But here we were dealing with real people and really blind and if the “cane” didn’t work well they might fall or hit something. It took a walk on a sidewalk in the downtown of my city to grasp understand what it means to be blind; not see any obstacle or stairs or end of a side walk; a world so mysterious and dangerous. Few steps into the project it was clear to us that this is not the right solution. I was worried they will fall off the sidewalk or down steps and suddenly I saw how dangerous it is to walk the street and cross a crosswalk. We didn’t need them to understand that we might want to help but this device is not the right way, in other words – this device was invented by seeing people. It was a little disappointing after all the work and the big hopes but if someone dear to me was blind I would not let them use this device, not after what I saw today.
   
I am thankful for a very disappointing test; it is exactly the reason that we conducted the test in the first place. I am thankful for getting involved in this project and I know that I will stay involved with this community; what I saw today convinced me just that. I am very thankful for these wonderful people that agreed to come and test the product, that put their trust in us; I am thankful for their eye opening discussion about how it is to be blind. I am thankful to my friend who got me involved in this project and in this community; and I know that he will find a different way to help them.    

No comments: