Monday, December 26, 2011

The Gift of Reading

Day 342 – on January 1, 1999 I made, like every year, my New Year Resolution list. The one I still remember and follow 13 years later is my decision to read at least one book every month that is not business/work related. I did it because I realized that when I was younger I was a real book worm but as I grew older and got more busy with life and work and kids etc. I forgot to take care of that facet of my life. I made this resolution, but unlike many others that where short lived and fast forgotten, this one stuck with me. I read at least one book every single month and many times I read so much more. It just became something I do. If I see that the middle of the month passed and I didn’t pick a book yet I correct it right away. I had the opportunity to read some very good books during the years and I am very happy about this resolution. Sometimes life gets so hectic and only the fact that I have a deadline, make me pick up a book and start reading. And this is exactly the case now; the end of the month is nearing and a book I started two weeks ago was still by my bed, left in mid-reading. So today after I brought my kids to the central bus station – they are going away for two days to visit some friends – I came back home and picked up the book and finished it in one sitting. Not the best I ever read, but cute and quite funny; and I was reminded of this old resolution, the only one I follow for so many years. This resolution that brought me so many wonderful gifts; I read some really good books over the years and it enriches my life every single month for 13 years. We are standing now few days from the New Year and it is time to think of my resolutions for this coming year, one of them will be, again, to read at least one book every month.
  
I am thankful for a wonderful day I got to spend with my kids, one more day I got to see them and have fun with them and I know that as they get older these precious moments will become fewer and far between, so I am always so thankful for an opportunity like that. I am thankful for another month I got to keep my resolution intact and I am happy for yet another book I read. I feel that each book brings something to me, a gift I can learn from and use. I am thankful for a wonderful evening, I didn’t do it in a long time and it was so much fun. I am very thankful for the opportunity to stay home, all by myself and read. 

No comments: