Monday, December 12, 2011

A Very Inspirational Lunch

Day 328 –   I had lunch today with one of my co-workers. Usually we go in a group, so there is no place for personal conversations but today it was just the two of us and we had a very eye opening talk. Her husband died a little more than a year ago after 3 years of marriage and I asked her how she is dealing with it. She talked about her unwavering belief in God and his presence in her life; about her deep conviction that He knows what’s best for them and that she knows she’ll meet her husband again; that she knows he is in a better place right now. I looked at her and it made me realize what religion is doing for people. It gives purpose and meaning and solace. It helps you accept the reality even when it’s very difficult, by simply believing with all your heart that there is someone who knows the Why even when we don’t know, when we are losing our way.  It made me envy for this deep conviction and the peace of mind it brings with it. I was thinking to myself, here I have this woman who lost her husband so recently and she is so strong and positive, she has no anger in her. I am not sure I will be able to do that. It was a very eye opening discussion. It puts things in perspective for me, as  I am still so sad about the break-up, as much as I want to tell myself I don’t, and here I see real loss and I know I am lucky. The man I love might not want to share his life with me, but he is alive and well, so I am sad about losing my dream but not about losing him.
  
I am thankful to my friend for this inspiring talk; it made me look at being religious in a whole new way; I am not sure I can do that but I admire those who can. I am thankful that after few months we work together I finally got to have a personal talk and I found a very interesting woman that I would love to get to know more. I am thankful for this inspiring discussion; for the new perspective I gained on my life. I am thankful my beloved is well, even if he is not with me.

1 comment:

DvoraElisheva said...

And I am thankful for you and your blog... I realize I don't nearly express my thankfulness enough. Thank you for sharing!