Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Son is Here for a Visit

Day 334 –   In less than a month I got to see all my family. First it was my daughter her fiancé and their little baby, my granddaughter, and today my son arrived for a two weeks visit. It’s been half a year since we last met – way too long and it sure will not happen again. It was a combination of several things that caused this long lag but there is no excuse for that. Since he came here alone, and for a longer visit, it will be easier for him to travel and see family and friends but also to have time to travel around and get to enjoy the beauty of our country; to take a hike, see some of the party life scenes (his younger sister and cousins will be responsible for that part). It sure will be a very different trip than he did before we knew a little more about the local scenery, now that we live here.
It was so wonderful to see him after such a long time; he was very tired of course after a very long flight, but managed to stay awake until after 11pm which promises a regular day tomorrow with not much of a jet lag. And tomorrow I will go in the morning for a few hours to work and then we will take a trip to some interesting archeological site not far from where we live, the site of the Armageddon battle will take place according to tradition. On our way home we had some serious discussion about the role of nationalism in creating rifts between people, the definition of us vs. they; the stories, traditions created for this bonding between people and their homeland. We both like this kind of discussions and can go back and forth for hours, and I have to admit, I missed it. It is so wonderful to have him here and the fact he'll be staying with me for at least part of his visit, will make such a big difference. I am very tired and my writing is not very coherent but I’ll try to write earlier and better tomorrow.
  
I am so thankful for my son’s visit; he chose to spend almost all his winter vacation from college here with us and I am very thankful for that. I am so thankful for the opportunity to spend some quality time with him and to get to know him again, half a year later. I am very thankful to my ex-husband for enabling this visit. It is so wonderful to have my son here and I am thankful beyond words for that. 

No comments: