Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bells of war

Day 666 - We came back so happy after a five days trip abroad. During that time hundreds of rockets were fired into the southern part of our country. Fired and the world did not even blink, did not bother mentioning these kids, these families that for weeks are living under attacks for no fault of their own; people that for weeks sleep every night in a shelter, sending their kids to school praying that nothing will happen to them during the day, that no rockets will fall on their schools and the world did not care. So today, after weeks of such shootings, and a great escalation in the number of rockets in the past few days, our military hit back. For a few hours now our military jets are attacking rocket launchers on the other side and they are firing as many as they can towards our southern cities. and people are again in shelters but now with the hope that these activity will actually bring to a ceasefire and will bring life back to normalcy for them. But in the mean time there is a very high alert of course and for us, it is the first time in since we moved here. When I decided to move back to my country this was one of the question I had to address for myself - what will I feel and think when another war will erupt, will I regret my decision or would it be OK and I realized that after years of running away I am actually feel proud to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the people of my country and fight for our right to exist and our right to live peacefully. That in case of war there is no other place I'd rather be than here. It is a big change for me, for years I was running away but at the end of the day living here for the past two years made me love my country so much, be so proud of who we are and how we handle our lives here, made me so upset about the callousness in which the world is looking at us; and I want to add my weak voice to the cry for justice of everyone around me, for our right to defend our people, and our homes. It was all just theory, but today the time had come to walk my talk and I am here worried for the safety of our people and our soldiers, but with great resolve. This is my home and I will not leave it every again; I will try to do what ever I can to help.  
  
I am thankful for being here at this dire time; I would not want to be anywhere else but here. I am thankful I can add my voice to the others here. I am thankful I can add my prayer for peace and for the safety of our people and our soldiers; I hope peace will come one day to this embattled area, and that it will happen in our life time. I am thankful I am here and will try to do as much as I can to help. 

No comments: