Friday, November 16, 2012

The moral dilemma of a local war

Day 668 - another day, another day laced with over hundred sirens in the south. Now that my daughter moved, all my family lives in the rocket range. A very disturbing thought indeed. But here in the north we feel nothing, I listen all day long to the radio, something I never do, to make sure I know what's going on there and so I can live, even if vicariously, the intensity of the bombardment since they announce all sirens on the radio. Still, as concerned as I am I met a friend for coffee, went to work for several hours, bought groceries, talked on the phone for several hours; all sounds so trivial but is something the people of the south can only dream about right now. And the most important of all I can take a shower, not afraid I will have to run for shelter in the middle, soaped and naked. And in a few minutes I can go and have a long and undisturbed sleep in my comfortable bed while they have to sleep yet another night cramped in the safe area on make shift beds with scared kids to try to calm down, not knowing how many times they'll wake up to the sirens sound and to the fall of rockets; hoping their houses will not suffer a hit. I feel guilty living my life like that when I know so many of my country people cannot; I am trying to figure out what I can do to help even a little to make their life a little more bearable, to let them know I care even if I don't suffer as they do.

I am thankful for my life, for another meaning for having a warm and inviting bed, for a roof over my head. I am thankful that in all these endless rockets attacks aimed blindly towards civilian targets no one was killed today. I am thankful, like everyone in my country right now for the rockets' defense system that is protecting the bigger cities in the south and help keeping the causalities to a minimum. I am praying, like every day now for the safety of our people civilians and soldiers; for restoring real peace in the region.     

No comments: