Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tomorrow is the big day

Day 736 - After so many days of preparation, planning and yesterday also packing, the day has come - tomorrow morning we are driving south to the desert were on Friday before dawn we'll start the hike. It was a crazy day today at work; trying to catch up on as much as I can before leaving for two weeks. The problem is that it feels like a Sisyphean work - the more I work the larger the pile on my desk, and it's difficult knowing I am leaving now when there is s much stress in our department, so much back log, so much to do and a serious shortage of manpower. But, I also know that there is a balance between work and personal life; that it is not my responsibility that we are under staffed; that my vacation is as important as anyone else. And so I put the initial feeling of guilt where they belong and intent to fully enjoy this once in a lifetime event of hiking for two full weeks in the desert, exposed to the elements, and the only food and water we can have is what we carry on our backs... romantic, scary, challenging - you pick how you want to look at it. I see it as exciting and of course as testing my limits, pushing my boundaries, something I like doing and find very exciting. I left work, barely breathing, so stressed about the things I didn't have time to do, but once I got home it all just slipped away and by now I am all excited for tomorrow.
  
I am thankful the day has finally arrived and we are starting the journey at last. I am thankful for all the planning, for all the little things we did to arrive at this point so relaxed about the trip.I am thankful to be away from work for two full weeks, worrying about real life things like survival. I am thankful for this so very special journey ahead of us physically challenging and spiritually uplifting. I am thankful to my partner for his support and help and especially for coming with me on this very difficult adventure. Good night!   

No comments: