Saturday, January 5, 2013

Visiting a sick friend

Day 718 - We went to visit today old friends of mine. He had a by-pass surgery last month and today was the first time I saw him since then. I have to admit it left me a little shaken. He is very fit and slim and never smoked and yet genetics took its toll; it runs in his family. I heard the name by-pass surgery many times but never stop to think of what it means; and it is scary. they have to cut the chest open so they have to cut all the ribs and now all has to heal and it takes time and it is not a sure thing and mean while he is so restricted in what he is allowed to do. We are talking about our hiking trip and he cannot even think of putting on a backpack - strictly prohibited. I looked at him and in a few weeks he became old. I hope that as soon as he heals he will be back to his old self. Coming back from there we were talking about not delaying things because who knows how many tomorrows are still ahead of us; we have to learn to live more and delay less just in case tomorrow will never come.
 
I am thankful for my health, for the health of my children and the health of my partner. I am thankful for every day I enjoy to the fullest, for every day that at the end of it I feel it is OK if I will not wake up tomorrow; that I lived it well. I am thankful for the opportunity I got at my age to experience all the spectrum of feelings, for the love I found; for so much happiness. I am thankful for my life, I won't trade it for the world.

No comments: