Thursday, May 9, 2013

It takes a village

Day 842 - this evening was a ribbon cutting ceremony for our children hospital. I saw the place when it was just a very big hole in the ground, a huge one; large enough to build in it a three stories parking garage and on top of it 3 buildings are already standing. The first one to be finished is the new children hospital. The main donor is an elderly lady and her time is obviously getting shorter and she decided not to wait another half a year until it is completely finished, but to celebrate it today on her 89th birthday. We were walking inside the building and realizing all the donations to the hospital which made this huge project possible. One room was named after one donor, another room for another donor; a whole section; a whole department. And it donned on me we all had our little share in making this a reality. The architects, engineers, the construction workers, the people who work so hard to get the donations, those who write the grant requests, those who meet new potential donors, those who organize events and on and on it goes. It really takes a village to turn a vision into a 9 stories high children hospital so beautiful and modern. I was so proud to be part of this group and to know I had my little share in all this as well. I wish I could donate something of that magnitude, but I can't, still every little step helps to make this very complex system work the way it does. I am so proud today to be part of all that.
  
I am thankful for a very emotional evening. I am thankful I am working in this place in such exciting times. I am thankful I had the privilege to be part of the village. And most of all I am thankful for this amazing facility that will serve over 600,000 children in the north part of our county.

No comments: